Pause Point is a staged review process that aims to support investigators in high risk roles. The process encourages robust and sensitive welfare discussions in every one to one meeting. The meetings take into consideration competency as well as physical and mental resilience. The nature of high risk roles mean that staff are regularly dealing with difficult subject matter and the process aims to identify staff before they ‘burn out’. The process also aims to have difficult conversations with individuals who may need to be moved out of high risk teams for their own well being and protection.
How it works
Cambridgeshire Constabulary have a responsibility to safeguard our officers. In doing so their welfare needs to be central to resourcing decisions. Following this commitment, Pause Point was introduced for all officers working within the Public Protection Department. The Pause Point process includes the following five key steps.
- Pre join interview based on officer/staff resilience for role.
- Three months initial review with supervisor to discuss progress and any emerging issues.
- Further review at six months.
- Review for all officers every twelve months. Second line manager to complete this, Inspector or DCI.
- Review at three years to establish if the officer is still thriving within the role. Where not thriving, a welfare based role or adjustment which may require a role move needs to be explored.
Reviews should clearly take into account supervisory/management view around the following.
- Competence and ability to perform the role.
- Mental and physical resilience –CAISU, RIT, POLIT and MASH place high demands on staff dealing with difficult subject matter and it should be recognised that staff can easily become ‘burnt out’. Whilst individuals may be dedicated and driven towards remaining in role we have a responsibility as managers and supervisors to recognise that staff may need to be moved out of our high-risk teams for their own wellbeing and protection.
|Ease of implementation||
|Impact on Investigators||